WCCO Belting Recognized for Giving Back to Local Community, Blog Post
The Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP) Northern Plains Chapter named WCCO Belting as a 2021 winner of the ‘Cooperate Leadership in Philanthropy Award.’ The award was given on November 16, just one day after National Philanthropy Day, which takes place on November 15. The award honors a corporation or its corporate foundation that demonstrates outstanding commitment through financial support and through encouragement and motivation of others to take leadership roles toward philanthropy and community involvement.
“We are honored to be recognized by AFP Northern Plains Chapter for our philanthropic efforts to support the Richland-Wilkin communities,” said Tom Shorma, CEO/President of WCCO Belting. “Giving back is a longstanding tradition for the Shorma family, which founded WCCO Belting, and continues today through our CREW Team, which has made significant progress involving employees in company efforts to support and engage with our communities.” CREW is the acronym for the company’s strategic team put in place to build a Culture of Respect, Engagement, and Wellness at the company and in the community.
WCCO Belting offers robust and varied support to its community through volunteerism, providing resources, and monetary and in-kind donations. Some of the ways WCCO Belting supports its community are:
- Monetary and in-kind donations to North Dakota State College of Science
- Food drives for Richland-Wilkin Food Pantry
- Peanut Butter and Mac n’ Cheese and school supply drives for the local backpack program
- Domestic Violence Awareness Day of jeans donations for Someplace Safe
- Donation drive to support a chili feed organized by Someplace Safe
- Donation drive to support Richland-Wilkin Kinship
- Chahinkapa Park ZooBoo Community Trick or Treat
- Toy donations for Marine Toys for Tots
- Multiple blood drives
- The Bowling for Soup food drive helps stock the Richland-Wilkin Food Pantry. WCCO will match all peanut butter and macaroni and cheese donations from employees.
- The Festival of Trees encourages businesses and community members to donate trees and decorations. Decorated trees will be displayed in Heritage Square in downtown Wahpeton from November 18 - December 20. The trees are then donated to families in need in the community.
- WCCO participates in Toys for Tots to gather toys for kids in the community.
- Employees can donate socks through “12 Days of Socks” from December 1-12. WCCO works with Someplace Safe, Kinship, and Richland County Social Services to give the socks to those who need them most. WCCO Belting will match the number of pairs of socks donated.
National Philanthropy Day celebrates the work that companies and organizations do to make a difference and create an impact in their communities. Today, we offer a huge thank you to all of our employees who help us support the greater community through donations, both of their time and goods.